Bitcoin.com, Bitmain Technologies and several bitcoin companies have announced a $1.2 million Bitcoin Development Grant for bitcoin protocol development. There is to be no “official” bitcoin.
The statement announcing the grant acknowledged there has been a “deep rift” that has distracted the bitcoin community.
The grant is to support teams working on bitcoin protocol, foster the greater diversity of innovation and improve freedom of choice for bitcoin users.
Founding Principles Stated
The Bitcoin Development Grant website cited the following principles as a foundation upon which to establish common ground:
1. No “Official” Bitcoin: No particular bitcoin protocol is to hold claim to being the “official” version of bitcoin.
2. Multiple Implementations: Diversity of bitcoin protocol implementation and a variety of development teams is considered a net gain for the bitcoin community.
3. Diversity of Innovation: Having more developers and more development teams will bring more diversity of innovation and solutions to the problems facing a growing industry.
4. Bitcoin is Leaderless: No team of developers has decision-making authority for the entire bitcoin community.
5. No Censorship: Disagreement is healthy within a complex