Coinbase is reputed to be the world’s largest Bitcoin broker, currently serving a total of 32 countries (although this may soon drop to 31 as Vogogo, their Canadian payment service, shuts down).
In addition to direct sales of Bitcoin at, or close to, the current average market rate (plus 1% fee), Coinbase facilitates low fee (0.25% for takers) trading of both Bitcoin and Ethereum on its exchange platform, GDAX (the Global Digital Asset Exchange).
Coinbase offers the following additional services and benefits:
- Instant purchase of up to $1000 worth of BTC per week for verified credit card holders.
- A wide variety of fiat deposit and withdrawal options.
- Instant transfers between Coinbase users.
- A well-documented API for developers.
- Well-designed and intuitive user experience.
- Insured Bitcoin deposits.
- A debit card from Shift Payments linked to your Coinbase balance.
- Online and mobile wallet services, with multi-signature security option to prevent unauthorised movement of funds.
Coinbase is often recommended to newcomers as one of the easiest ways to acquire their first bitcoins. The company has invested a lot of time and money into making their user experience smooth and painless. Their extensive banking partnerships allow transactions to be made