As reported by AHREFS more than 23872 unique domains are mining cryptocurrency.
AHREFS analyzed his entire index of 175M+ domains to find out exactly how many.
AHREFS crawled all 175,251,729 websites in there database to see how many were mining cryptocurrency.
To clarify, this means that we crawled subdomains, too.
To check for the presence of crypto-mining scripts, we used Wappalyzer.
For those unfamiliar with Wappalyzer, here’s what it does:
Wappalyzer is a cross-platform utility that uncovers the technologies used on websites. It detects content management systems, ecommerce platforms, web frameworks, server software, analytics tools and many more.
Wappalyzer can identify the presence of 14 common crypto-mining scripts.
These scripts include Coinhive, Crypto-Loot, JSECoin, ProjectPoi, and many more.
AHREFS found 23,872 unique domains running cryptocurrency mining scripts.
As a percentage of the total 175M+ in Ahrefs’ database, that’s 0.0136%. (Or 1 in 7,353 websites.)
In terms of the actual crypto-mining script these sites are running, Coinhive is the most popular option by far. It accounts for 93.82% of our results—that’s ~22,396 websites.
Here are the top 20 sites (that AHREFS found were running crypto-mining scripts) with the most organic search traffic:
- torrentz-2.eu: 3,434,018 est. visits/month;
- whatismyipaddress.com: 3,047,785 est. visits/month;
- zamunda.net: 2,039,719 est. visits/month;
- rutracker-net.ru: 1,440,599 est. visits/month;
- ilcorsaronero.info: 1,073,419 est. visits/month;
- myegy.tv: 918,394 est. visits/month;
- cinecalidad.org: 783,140 est. visits/month;
- freebitco.in: 652,149 est. visits/month;
- dl-xvideos.com: 643,710 est. visits/month;
- seriesypelis24.com: 536,810 est. visits/month;
- tainiesonline.tv: 529,885 est. visits/month;
- streamonsports.com: 476,141 est. visits/month;
- elsiglo.com.ve: 465,710 est. visits/month;
- medium.com: 362,326 est. visits/month;
- contoerotico.com.br: 361,563 est. visits/month;
- heja.tv: 331,566 est. visits/month;
- papystreaming.net: 315,325 est. visits/month;
- cam4bucks.com: 311,442 est. visits/month;
- pencurimovie.xyz: 273,604 est. visits/month;
- peliculasio.com: 249,109 est. visits/month;
image by shutterstock
TheBitcoinNews.com – leading Bitcoin News source since 2012
Virtual currency is not legal tender, is not backed by the government, and accounts and value balances are not subject to consumer protections. The information does not constitute investment advice or an offer to invest.