Slowly but surely the TRON (TRX) support continues to expand. After moving to their own blockchain, there was hardly a wallet that supported the “new” TRX tokens. But now, popular hardware wallet maker Ledger also announced that it would support the new token standard.
Typically, managing different cryptocurrencies with a Ledger device is relatively easy. But in the case of TRX, it’s not as easy as you would expect from the French manufacturer. To be able to manage TRX, in addition to the Nano S, the Tronscan desktop application is also required, which is available for free download on Github and was developed by the TRON community.
Below is a guide to installing the TRON app.
Install and use Tron (TRX)
Tron (TRX) can be managed from a Ledger Nano S through the use of Tronscan Desktop and the Tron app on your Ledger device. Both are developed and supported by the Tron community.
Please refer to the Tron community for more information and troubleshooting.
A Ledger Nano S is required.
Make sure your device runs the latest firmware version.
Make sure to install the latest version of the Bitcoin app on your device.
Install the Tron app on your device
Launch the Ledger Manager Chrome application. Refer to this article to learn how to install and use the Ledger Manager.
Note: Please do not install the Tron app through Ledger Live, it doesn’t work.
Connect your Ledger Nano S and enter your PIN to unlock the device.
Click on the green arrow button to install the Tron app.
Confirm by pressing the right button if the device displays Allow Ledger manager?
Quit the Ledger Manager.
If the error message Unable to install application appears, refer to this article.
Set up Tronscan Desktop
1. Open the Tronscan Desktop client
2. Click on “Open Wallet” at the top right corner and again “Open Wallet”
3. Select “Ledger”
4. Tronscan will displayed “Ledger Connected”
5. Click on “Open Wallet” and you will be automatically redirected to your Tron wallet
Use your Ledger Nano S to sign transactions
1. Make sure to keep your Ledger Nano S connected and the Tron app opened to sign transactions.
2. Tronscan will show a popup with the transaction details when a transaction signature is needed. Signatures are required whenever you vote, send TRX, change account name.
Tutorial by Ledger