Firmware / Software Update over the Air Proof of Concept
By 2020 industry experts expect more than 250 million connected vehicles on the road. The need to perform frequent remote software updates of car components increases with the level of automation – especially with autonomous cars. IOTA envisions becoming the underlying protocol for car makers and suppliers to ensure secure updates and transparent access to audit trails.
The Challanges Today
Centralized ownership of data makes it difficult to ensure that the data are not tampered with. This lack of transparency leads to limited trust between parties and extensive documentation processes. Multipartner ecosystems create an intransparent audit trail and proof of untampered data can’t be ensured easily.
Then follow us on Google News!
The Project Goals
- Documentatlon of over the air update (OTA) process steps on an immutable data storage medium and audit trail, where data integrity can be ensured.
- Integration of IOTA technology into the existing legacy system to prove interoperability and production readiness.
Core Benefits for Volkswagen
- Establish transparency and digital trust with customers, authorities and third parties.
- Ability to provide an evidence to external parties.
- Handle product recalls efficiently.
- Ability to record high volume of (incremental) updates and different software versions
- Tamper proof & transparent statistical recording
- On Demand Features: Request and configure car related features
- V2V and V2I Communications: Exchange information, data and resources
- Ecosystem: Use secure and immutable data to customize services like usaged based insurance
“Distributed Ledger Technologies (DLT) are crucial for the future of trusted transactions. IOTA has great potential to become a DLT leader with the Tangle approach.”
Johann Jungwirt, Chief Digital Officer of Volkswagen and member of the Supervisory Board of the IOTA Foundation
The IOTA Foundation is part of the Volkswagen Future Mobility in Hall 25, Stand A23 and also IOTA Co-Founder Dominik Schiener will speak on Tuesday, 12th June 03:15 pm – 04:10 pm about “Blockchain in Future Mobility” at the Volkswagen Summit: “Co-Creating Future Mobility” Event Series.
CeBIT is the largest and most internationally representative computer expo. The trade fair is held each year on the Hanover fairground, the world’s largest fairground, in Hanover, Germany. It is considered a barometer of current trends and a measure of the state of the art in information technology. It is organized by Deutsche Messe AG.
The Volkswagen Group is one of the world’s leading automotive manufacturers. The Group maintains 120 production facilities in 31 countries, where it produces vehicles for customers in more than 150 countries. In 2017, the Volkswagen group delivered 10,741 million vehicles.
The post Volkswagen Over the Air Update PoW with IOTA at Cebit 2018 appeared first on IOTA News.